Monday, March 31, 2014

Improve School Lunches

Many of us get free lunch and the problem is that we don't care how unhealthy the food is. The fact that pizza is one of the food choices everyday just shows how messed up school lunch programs are. I mean don't get me wrong, I love pizza but honestly I never realize that they serve pizza almost everyday until I read  "No Lunch Left Behind" by Alice Waters and Katrina Heron.  What interest me the most is when they mentioned that most people don't recognize that very little of the $9 billion goes to the food they eat, most of it goes to utilities and custodial services. This is where the issue comes in because our health is important but if we put in all the money to our food then our school would not be what it is today. The floor would probably be full of trash all the time and restrooms would be much more worse than it already is. Heron and Waters also stated that the ingredients found on school lunches are the same as the ingredients on fast foods. If this is the case then what is the point of the whole program? I'm really disappointed with this school program because they fail to meet the basic nutritional standards. I mean I love fast food and I think they're the best but these program needs to start putting more money on healthy food. I think that if they choose salads and other low calorie food as their everyday food choices, a lot of students would actually be forced to eat them because they can't just go on a day without eating. I know a lot of people who come to school without eating breakfast before they leave their house. If schools started feeding students healthy food, many students would have no choice but to eat those healthy food. Starting from scratch and producing locally grown food is the best way to improve school lunches because if we just added more money to these programs and leave it like that nothing is going to change. There has to be some restriction on where the money will be spent. Eating healthy food can be expensive but if you think about it, the outcome would all be positive: long term savings, healthy and dietary habits, food safety, and environmental and energy conservation. So, who needs to take part in changing school lunch programs? According to Waters and Heron, the Agriculture Department has to create a separate program for delivering food and also to provide for healthy meal planning. The Department of Education needs to do most of the job because not only will they have to educate the students on healthy food, they will also have to educate them on  how the food will affect their health. Heron and Waters concluded that everyone deserves to eat an organic food and that the government should contribute more on this instead of the increasing epidemiology of obesity. So, what do you think needs to happen in order to improve school lunch programs?

1 comment:

  1. i agree, i think the school lunch program should change. definitely bringing more healthy meals for the students could increase the chances of students eating more. having pizza everyday is tiring, mostly knowing it's just reheated from being packaged in the freezer. i think more students will eat lunch if the food was made from scratch because then we will know that our food is freshly made. i think students would rather eat a healthy salad then a frozen pizza that was just headed up and had been packaged for days.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.