Monday, March 31, 2014

Obesity-parents the cause and solution?

I really like the Ted link that Ms. Fletcher posted called “Teach Every Child About Food”. He says that diet related disease is the biggest killer in America. The fact that it’s diet related means that we can control our diets and change it to reduce the amount of people dying from this disease. Many people believe that the parents are the main cause of the obesity epidemic. The reason for this is because they are the ones who feed them and are supposed to do what’s right for their kid. But many parents don’t know what to feed their kids or are too busy to cook or they just don’t know how to cook. What ever the reason, they give their children fast food and processed foods because it’s fast and cheaper than going to a grocery store and buying produce, which in my opinion shows that parents are the main cause for the obesity epidemic. There are many factors that caused the obesity epidemic, such as the fast food restaurants, and the government, and the way our society has evolved, but I believe that parents are the main cause and are the main solution to this problem. One solution for this would be, as Jamie Oliver said, to teach parents how to cook. He also said that kids should learn about food and what they are eating. They don't eat their vegetables because they don't know what it is. In the video, he asked elementary school kids to name the vegetables that he was holding, and they didn’t name any of them correctly.

Another cause for obesity is that if the parents are obese then most likely their kid will end up becoming obese because if their parents have poor eating habits and don’t exercise, then they will most likely raise their kids in this way. If parents are ignorant then their kids are more likely to become obese, so parents need to be taught about what to feed their children and how much to feed them. They also need to be taught how much daily exercise their kids should get.  Do you think that parents are to blame if their child is obese? If so, then what do you think parents should do to prevent/solve obesity? What do you think about this and how should we deal with this problem?

2 comments:

  1. I definitely think it is the parents' responsibility to see to it that their child receives the proper healthy lifestyle. As a child, I knew nothing (or if I did, didn't care) about nutrition. I ate what I thought tasted good, or what my parents gave me at the table. The choice of what to eat was completely out of my hands and I was dependent on my parents to provide me with a healthy diet. If my parents were to themselves have poor eating habits, then it would have a tremendous affect on my lifestyle as an adult.
    A bad lifestyle is contagious, but it's curable... and preventable. I don't think teaching parents how to cook would solve the problem though. Learning how to cook is the easier step on the road to a healthy lifestyle. The step towards activity and away from passivity is the difficult step. Gathering the willpower to transform someone's lifestyle requires commitment, perseverance, and discipline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think parents are responsible for there child's diet. Many parents have become lazy and take the fast food meal over the home cooked one. When I was younger I had to eat what was on my plate, vegetables and all, otherwise I got in trouble. I think parents have become soft in that area. Many don't force their child to eat their vegetables. I think parents should teach their kids how to eat healthy and reward them when they do.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.