Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Undeniably Us

Look at us – always at rush, always late. We spend more time at work, but we do not have time to prepare our food. Guess what we do? We go to fast food because it is cheap and fast service, but most of us do not know what’s in it. We care more about the taste and looks, but we do not care where the food comes from, or how the food is made. This is undeniably us. We just eat whatever food is available even we know that they are unhealthy. In the article “The Pleasure of Eating”, Wendell Berry stated that eating is an agricultural act, but most of the people do not think that they are the participants of this act. They view themselves as a customer or consumer, in which they not care how the food is made, where the food came from, or how food is prepared. I somewhat agree with Wendell Berry because if you ask me how the food is made, my answer would be “I don’t know”, and if you give me money to buy something to eat, I would just probably buy the cheapest food in store, or I will just buy microwavable food or fast foods, so that I do not have to prepare it. Berry also stated that eating is a pleasure, therefore, we must know how is the food is made. He suggested that we should grow our own food and take our time to prepare it. This is a very hard thing to do, especially for busy people because it takes a lot of time and effort to do it just to have healthier, more enjoyable and more pleasurable food.

8 comments:

  1. I'm actually embarrassed on how I use to see this as okay. After reading all these articles on how food is proceed and how it is preserved it made me feel some what shameful. The video Ms. Fletcher showed us in class about the black man that planted a garden on the sidewalk for anybody inspired me. We live in this great planet and have gotten so use to everything being in front of us so quick that we no longer have patience for this planet

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do plan on planting my own veggies and fruit in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ever since my mom took an early retirement from the USPS, she has been able to truly be the master of my family's kitchen. She has found her passion for cooking once again and is searching for new recipes to try. Recently we got the Blendtec blender from Costco and we are all enjoying trying different combinations that are protein fused with vegetables, fruit, and whey. However, I find myself being the pickiest one when it comes to energy smoothies/juices. I crave that Jamba Juice-esque flavor yet I am tasting healthy ingredients that do not appeal to my taste buds' expectations. I wish I was like my mom in that she gets her pleasure from the fact that the ingredients she has been putting in the blender produces healthy tasting drinks rather than just tasting good like Jamba Juice, Robeks type smoothies. I need the blend of healthy and good taste so this means more Blendtec experimentation for me! I noticed that people say "that looks healthy" or "it tastes healthy" and often times it is given a negative connotation. For example, as soon as I saw one of my mom's smoothies that was completely green, which I knew came from the spinach, I immediately had the thought that it would taste gross. It didn't taste that bad and I think it would have tasted better if I did not have that negative perception. So what I am trying to say is, involve more vegetables and real, healthy foods in your meals. Don't turn away from the produce aisle and try not to have a negative attitude when you see vegetables. Take pride if you love vegetables because so many people deprive themselves of their "greens". You can't say you dislike vegetables in general. That just means you haven't tried the right way to incorporate them into your meals or you haven't tasted a naturally grown one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is definitely true, especially in this economy that we have come to live in. Everyone is constantly rushing or stressing to be somewhere, even though they might have nowhere to be. We have become accommodated to just rush and worry because that is what everyone else is doing. This was also mentioned in the video Food Inc., by that lady and her family. She was talking about how the prices are so high on healthy foods, yet low on the unhealthy foods. But she also mentioned how her family had to travel long distances due to her husband's job, and how she would rather buy something quick and cheap instead of taking extra time and extra money to prepare something healthy. It's an ugly truth, but it is what we have become.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fact that junk foods are cheaper that healthy foods shows how bad our economy is. I also completely agree with you that growing vegetables or starting a garden takes a lot of time and effort because everyone is just busy trying to make ends meet. There's no time to prepare our own food and that's why food is more readily accessible for everyone, which then results in obesity & other health issues.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is true how we've become lazy about cooking and our food in general. We don't care where it comes from or what is in it. I know that I don't take the time to look at the ingredients or where it came from. If it looks good and is relatively cheap I buy it. I also do like homemade meals, but I won't make it myself if I want it. I hardly even make sandwiches for lunch because it is quicker and simpler to grab a hot pocket or uncrustable. We need to really think about what we are eating and slow down and take the time to cook our meals with fresh fruits and vegetables rather than grab the box of frozen food and justify ourselves because of our "busy schedule".

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't necessarily think it's a form of justification but the truth. In today's era food is not the center of our lives the way that is used to. We can now choose to focus on other aspects of our lives that we think are more important. It is up to the individual. The choices we make are all different. There are those who care more about food than others and they may choose to buy organic or grow their own and that is completely fine, yet there are also others who could really not care less and choose to buy all the junk food or food that is easy to prepare. It is a choice we make, and if the public in general wanted change then there would be change. Individuals would change their diet and people would become healthier. But it cannot be forced. It should be a choice left to each and every one of us to make.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.