Out of the 5 articles we were given to read, "No Lunch Left Behind" was definitely the one that was most interesting to me. Alice Waters and Katrina Heron mention a lot of details and facts about the National School Lunch Program and how it works, and honestly I don't think its working out so well. I think their points are proven just by looking at the lunches we are served at Mayfair. I don't know about you guys, but I have chosen to pack my own lunch because I refuse to have greasy cheese pizza or soggy grilled cheese every day. In certain aspects, our lunch program isn't too bad; I mean, they do offer salad as a choice and provide fruits, such as apples and pears. But how many students do you see that actually reach for the fruit, or choose the salad over the pizza instead?
Waters and Heron mentioned that the program costs around $9 billion, but that little of that money is even used on the food that is provided for us to eat. To make up for the cost, "schools are entitled to receive commodity foods that are valued at a little over 20 cents per meal". So on top of the fact that our lunches are "low grade meats and cheeses and processed foods", we are paying $2.50 for lunches that are only worth 20 cents! Sounds a little silly to me, given that a chicken sandwich from any fast food restaurant runs for half that price. But that is also part of the problem. The National School Lunch Program is receiving billions of dollars to provide healthy meals for students, but instead we are being served food that is equivalent to, if not worse, than fast food itself. Clearly, a little more effort should be put in providing healthier foods to students, especially since health rates have been declining every year.
Waters and Heron suggest buying locally grown food to provide for students in school, although it will cost a little more money. Do you guys think the cost is worth it? Should the government be willing to give a little more to provide healthy meals for us? And as mentioned, should the Department of Education be involved and also be required to pay for part of the lunch program?
I also agree that this article was extremely interesting. When Heron and Waters brought up these questions, I thought long and hard about my opinion. Money is being wasted on items that are not beneficial, but what can we do to stop it? I believe we should put extra money into these lunches so our generation can eat healthy food. We could easily grow food in a garden at school, but it will take some time. If we put in the effort I believe we can make a change in our society.
ReplyDeleteI agree with both of you that we should be offered healthier food choices at school. And because the processed food that is sold at the cafeteria overpriced, students tend to buy snacks from the people who sell unhealthy snacks "illegally" to other students. This contributes to the obesity epidemic because students for example, can buy a bag a of Hot Cheetos and candy for $1 each, which tastes better and is cheaper than cafeteria food. So the Department of Education should be required to pay for part of the lunch program in order to eliminate the other unhealthy alternatives. People would more likely eat school lunch if they knew that their food was fresh and grown at school. And having a garden at school would lift the curtain of ignorance that people have on food production.
ReplyDeleteI do agree with the previous comments' opinion. I think the expensive cost for having a healthier food is worth it for the school lunch program. If schools provide food that is healthy and delicious it will put a stop to the people buying junk food "illegally" from other students, as Kaylin mentioned. I also believe that providing healthier options for students to eat allows for better thinking process. I remember reading an article stating that eating junk food or unhealthy food can cause a person feel sluggish; so a healthier option in food choices may provide student enough energy to get through the day. I think there should be changes in the school lunch program to create a healthier lifestyle for the students.
ReplyDelete