Wednesday, March 19, 2014
The struggle to eat healthy and stay "well"thy
For me, the article that stood out the most is “Attacking the Obesity Epidemic by First Figuring Out Its Cause" by Jane E. Brody. The article talked about the reasons why obesity epidemic happened in the first place. Brody stated that vending machines, food courts, and countless television food commercials did not exist when she was growing up. What struck me the most was when she talked about how feet used to serve as a main means of transportation and people had to walk 2-3 blocks just to buy chips or soda. Today, all you have to do is tell your parents and they will drive you to get food and in a matter of minutes your cravings would be satisfied. Brody declared that women played a role in the high percentage of obesity because when they entered work force, food markets started mass producing foods with “palate appeal” just to make food more readily accessible for everyone. Because the stay-at-home mom status is now gone and many women today are too busy trying to make ends meet, they don’t have time to cook and take care of their children. Most of the time, my parents would get home late at night and they have no choice but to eat at a fast food restaurant. We all love eating out and satisfying our cravings but what we don’t realize is the effect of the food in our health; we only focus on satisfying our cravings and not on maintaining a healthy diet. In addition, I think that stress eating is also one of the causes of obesity in many teenagers. In my case, I would sit and munch on a party size chips while I do my homework because it helps to keep me going and finish all my homework. I’m sure that if I keep doing this I would end up being obese but sometimes I just can’t help it. To reduce our calorie intake, Dr. Gortmaker, a sociologist at the Harvard School of Public Health, suggest putting 10% tax on unhealthy foods, placing more apparent labels on packaged foods, and reducing advertisements of junk foods and beverages. Brody concluded that just like smoking, it will take a lot of time and effort to reduce the percentage of obesity. So, who do you think is to blame for the epidemiology of obesity? Do you think Dr. Gortmaker’s solution is a good idea?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Everyone is to blame for obesity: the big food corporations that corrupt our senses with flashy media and mouthwatering commercials that they ingrain into our conscience, society and culture accepting the cheap, convenient, and processed forms of food, and families that let the pressure of "not enough time in the day" overcome the sensibility of choosing good food. The cheap prices and fast preparation of unhealthy foods appeal to our fast-paced, busy lifestyles. I think Dr. Gortmaker's solution is a very logical and practical way to attack the obesity epidemic. I would support it because I am a victim of unhealthy foods and a tax would definitely make people think twice before loading the shopping cart with not just unhealthy, but pricier food options (especially since we already have a high sales tax..). Also, I realized that the majority of the time I only look at labels on packaged foods While I am eating them not when I shopping for the food! Those food commercials get me every time. I always say, "Ohh that looks so good." I usually remember the food in all its Hi-Def perfection when I choose what kind of food I want to get. So yes Ana Mae I like all three parts of his solution. :)
ReplyDeleteThere are many factors for the obesity around the world. I do agree with Dr. Gortmaker's solution and part of the reason for obesity is the trend of having food courts and vending machines. Most vending machines contain junk food and unhealthy foods that are bad for us which also causes obesity. The television commercials has also persuaded us to buy their food which is unhealthy for us as well, the big production of fast foods in our society is also a big reason for obesity.
ReplyDeleteI struggle with eating healthy because fast food and junk food just always look alot more appealing to me as does carrot sticks or an apple. I have the luxury of playing soccer, that many people don't have, and i am able to eat practically whatever i want. i try to eat healthier and drink more water but i doesn't work for a long term. one day i won't have soccer to use as an excuse to eat unhealthy and i hope by then i can control myself enough that i won't become obese. I'm enrolled in a gym but that only does so much, i really only get a good workout when I'm playing soccer. the gym isn't enough and some people believe its the answer to diminish obesity. Some people yes but most not.
ReplyDelete