Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Stalk Your Food


Wendell Berry states that in order to have pleasure in eating we must have an “extensive pleasure” in which we have knowledge about our food. I have noticed recently, people in urban areas have been taking precaution with their food habits. I do not know if it is due to the growing obesity rates in the world or its just a fad that has struck the population, but there has been an awareness in making conscious decisions when it comes to food choices. I think the rise for this health kick is due to the Internet, which is the hub for everything and anything. I am always on the Internet and I realized there has been so many articles and blog post that empower people to live a healthier lifestyle. People would share their advice on what types of food to buy and talk about being aware of how the food is produced, raised, and whether it contains chemicals or pesticides, which is why I come to the assumption that there has been an increase of people shopping at farmer’s markets and health food stores such as Wholefoods. There has been a growth of people deciding to become their own farmers and harvesting their own fresh produce, and the Internet as well comes in handy for you can find tips on gardening and cultivating the land.  I do agree that in order to have pleasure in eating we must know the origin of our food and know how our food is being produced. If people have knowledge about the food they eat, finding out how it was made and how long it took to be created or produced, people will appreciate the food they are consuming and eating won’t just be a simple task we need to do on a daily.  So the next time you buy something in the grocery store read about it first, learn the identity of the fruit or vegetable or meat, and find out whether its worth spending money on and consuming. 

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you, mostly because I've noticed this growing fad as well. Lately, there have been a lot of new organic grocery stores popping up, such as Fresh & Easy and Sprouts, and a lot of people have been going on health kicks. I think most of it is due to the social networks we have developed, because word gets out quicker and the facts about how unhealthy America has become have been seen by mostly everyone. I think the issue, to begin with, was the fact that we weren't aware. I mean, we probably always knew that chips and candy were unhealthy, but now we are completely aware of the fact that the obesity rate is growing and that fast food is probably not the best choice for us. I feel that the more aware we are, the more incentive we will develop to change our eating habits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same, I have decided to go on a health kick. I was influenced by the articles we read, and it changed my viewpoint on what I used to eat. I never realized how bad these foods were, until I really looked into it. I find Fresh & Easy a great place to shop for organic/healthy food. Before, I would go to Pavillions and Ralphs and was surrounded by junk food calling my name, but I find that shopping at fresh & easy provides many alternatives.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.