Monday, March 17, 2014
The Pleasures of Eating
While shopping at the grocery store with my dad, I would walk up and down the aisles, dreading every minute, wanting all of the food that I saw. I asked my dad if we could get this and that, of course it was hot Cheetos, or junk food and he would always say no. I never paid attention to what was in the meat my dad purchased, or any other type of food we bought. I just saw it as its there so might as well eat it. After reading Wendell Berry's "The Pleasures of Eating" I got an uneasy type of feeling in my stomach. What have I been putting into my body all these years? How are these animals being treated and raised? A whole bunch of emotions came over me and I wanted to stop reading, but I continued and his words opened my eyes. Now when I go to the store I will take this things into consideration. In the seven steps he listed, I know I can prepare my own food, and become more informative regarding farmers and gardening. I think we should all attempt to try at least one of his steps. It will never hurt to try. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I completely agree with you! all the videos that Ms. Fletcher showed us really caught my attention and made me realize that I should pay attention to the food I eat. The fact that we go on everyday satisfying ourselves without the knowledge of where the food came from, what's on them or how they were prepared makes me think about all the foods I've eaten before. I also think that Berry's solution is a good idea but today parents are just so busy that they don't even have time to take care of their children and that's why they have no choice but to buy food at fast food restaurants. Children, on the other hand, are too busy with school activities and hanging out with friends. Therefore, trying one step is the best way to start because by doing so you have the ability to motivate others to do the same.
ReplyDeleteGrowing up I did the same thing you did Dakota. If I saw a food item that looks good I would try to convince my mom and dad to buy it for me. Sometimes they would buy it for me, but the majority of the time they would say no. I knew the junk food was bad for me, but I did not know all the details to how bad it would be for me, and I did not really care. Now that I know I think it would be wise for me to start paying attention to what I eat so I can remain being a healthy person.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you in trying to grab everything off the racks, except nasty hot cheetos. As of this year before we started this unit about food, i have been paying attention to what I eat and how it is made. I take these things into consideration because as an athlete, I have to watch what i eat to keep me in shape and help me to be able to last a whole game. If im eating hot cheetos, which i never would, or any other unhealthy famous snacks everyday, I would be lazy and my body would feel terrible on the court. I make sure when i go to the store I get on snack that i could use to cheat but the rest is food that is going to help my body grow and to help me be a better athlete.
ReplyDelete