I struggle with grammar. I feel lost when it comes to grammatically correcting mine or others papers. I am never quite sure where commas or semi-colons go. It looks like the comma could go there or not, and I'm never sure if the semi-colon is appropriate. I want to be able to be confident in using correct grammar in my essays by the end of this year. I want to know that the comma goes there and not just guess whether or not it does. I want to remember what the difference is between a phrase and a clause.
My struggle though is that whenever a teacher has a lesson on grammar, I
tune out. I cannot get engaged in the lesson and the words go in one ear and
out the next. I find grammar lessons boring so I don’t pay attention, but then
I stress out when I write my essays because I don’t know whether I am doing it
right. In peer review I don’t receive grammar corrections either, so I don’t
know if I am right or not.
I also want my writing to become better. I want my essays and sentences to
sound more intelligent and I want to be able to write a college level essay. I want
to learn better essay structure and be able to write a good essay without going
through several bad drafts. I want to be able to use the writing process
effectively. By the end of this year, I want to be a good writer.
I understand you and I don't ever know when its appropriate. I just go on through my high school years hoping I don't have to use them when in fact I will run into them someday. I would like to know the real and easily memorable way of knowing the difference.
ReplyDelete