Friday, November 1, 2013

Notebook

We have been using notebooks for as long as I can remember in school, it is expected that we have one for this class. Each year teachers have us design the notebook differently than last. Last year I had Mr. Bacani and he had us divide up our notebook into three sections: quotes, SSR, and journal (writing) topics. This year is much different with our usage of the notebook, although it may be different I think it is useful. What I like about this years notebook is that we are taking notes down in it, such as the Peter Elbow notes, which can easily be referenced later. Having the free writing included is a nice option too, letting us be more open with our writing and exploring out thoughts. On the first page we have a large area written up with nothing except information about ourselves, I will enjoy reading this at the end of the year, or farther down the road to see what has changed and what has not. The writing process handout in addition to Peter Elbow notes will pose useful later on too. Lastly there is the vocabulary in the back of the notebook, and I feel the format we are using is useful because it makes us look into more than just the word's definition. Overall, I feel this years notebook is an effective use of our time.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with this. The use of our notebooks has been very useful and dependable so far. I like how we write in them for ten minutes non-stop. I think that is very good writing strategy. Free writing in our notebooks I feel helps us with just letting us write whatever is on our minds. The Peter Elbow notes are also a key piece for our notebooks. With each of the different topics we wrote down and described each one it let's us look back and see whatever method we can use or would like to use. Finally the vocabulary squares is a great idea. Making these squares are honestly kind of fun and I enjoy doing everything in the square. I like using our notebooks in this class and cannot wait for what we do in them this next quarter and later in the year.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.