Tuesday, December 10, 2013

COLLEGE

Hey classmates! Today when the counselor came in today to talk about Cal grants and FAFSA, I felt overwhelmed and stressed out. Just when I felt like the stress level was starting to decrease, it sky rocketed back up. There was so much information given, and I couldn't digest all of it at once. If it wasn't one thing it was another, and if it wasn't one website it was another. I couldn't wrap my head around everything that was being said. I kind of wish all of this information was given to us earlier in the year. I also feel like they only mainly focus on four year colleges, instead of community or technical school. I believe I know a lot about four years but not enough about community, which is where I will going in the fall. Maybe it is just me, but hopefully my input can help.

4 comments:

  1. I agree, they really are focused specifically on four year colleges. The information they give us is helpful but it is just so much to remember. When it comes time to apply for the Cal grants and the FAFSA many of us will forget what they have told us. I wish that they would have given us notes on what they went over so that we could have it for reference. Hopefully the packet they gave us will come in handy though, at least we can still ask for help though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Dakota, the lecture was pretty hard to digest. Like he even said he was just going to be reading everything off the screen. Now I am no calling Mr. Garcia out or anything but just the material was sort of hard to digest. There were so many websites and different topics that he went over. It sorta of just piled on more stress, and being seniors, we already have enough as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually disagree. Mr. Garcia's presentation on the FAFSA kind of stirred up a longing to see what is really out there. My stress is high too, but it is a good stress. It's a stress that is basically unnecessary because we don't have to have a plan yet. We are 17 and 18 years old, but the articles from the last section stuck with me. College isn't everything. From the presentation though, I recognized that I need to get my act together. I need to do actual research on some of the money I can get a hold of :). It's exciting to think that these stepping stones, however may stressful they may be, will take us onto the rest of our lives! Mr. Garcia tried to be relatable I think. He admitted that "the stuggle is real." Something we already know, but needed to be reassured that everyone feels the same. The information given to us will PROBABLY not stay in the black hole of my backpack this time guys. :)

    And Dakota, community, I think is the better, cheaper plan :) I'm doing that too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought Mr. Garcia's presentation was good. Yes it had a lot of information on the actual slide, but there was only a few topics he discussed. Talking about scholarships also made me want to actually start looking at what I could get. It made me want to start getting prepared to go to college. I also think they gave us enough time to think about FAFSA and scholarships and if they would have gave us this information in the beginning along with information on college applications, it would have been to much.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.