Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Hooked on a Myth

Before I started to read "Hooked on a Myth", I thought the article would give key facts explaining why we should feel sorry for certain animals. I began reading the article with an open mind, taking all of the facts she gave into consideration. After I read the article I felt genuinely upset and apologetic for how I have treated fish in the past. I never thought that fish could feel the same emotions or pain as us humans do. We don't treat fish like we treat our dogs or cats, and I don't understand why. Fish feel the same amount of pain as dogs or cats do and demonstrate the same emotions, so why do we degrade their morality? I then looked at it from a different point of view. How would us humans feel if we got put through pain intentionally and have animals look at us as though we don't matter? I know I would feel upset, unimportant, and depressed. Studies have shown that fish do demonstrate those emotions, just like us, but we don't pay attention because they aren't as important as other animals. I don't believe we should degrade animals of their morality, because in my eyes, animals are just as human as we are. Hopefully after reading this article, or other articles similar to this, our viewpoint changes on how we should treat animals.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you Dakota, once I started reading this article my mind set completely changed. I've been a vegetarian for almost two years now but like many I continued to eat fish because I never really thought of it being slaughtered like one would a cow or pig. But now knowing that this little fish can feel the same emotions I can, makes me question the very purpose of me not eating meat. Its not very often that you read something that makes you question your life choices like this article did for me, I know it kept me up thinking about all those times as a kid that I would be fishing with my dad or grandpa, and never think twice about what I was doing to a fish. I don't think any of us would like if when we went to take a bit of some french fries we got a giant hook in our lip. What about you guys did reading this article make you feel guilty for not cleaning your fish bowl?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.