I've been on this website multiple times and each time attempting to make a post. I would a draft and then discard it after awhile. My problem isnt that I don't want to post; it's that I can't come up with a standing on this issue. There are so many arguments for both sides and each side is so persuasive. One talks about animals forced into pain and suffering for our benefits; the other argues how animal testing helps find cure for diseases and improve our society. I feel pity for animals that would have to feel suffering through so much pain, but then again, I would want a cure for my detrimental disease.
I've tried reading more articles online about animal research and it only confuses my position on this problem even more.
Does anyone understand my dilemma?
Yes I understand how you are feeling! I had so much trouble picking a side for this argument and I even mentioned my struggle in my blog post. Even though I have chosen a side, I still don't think I am fully committed to the side I have picked. The more I read the articles the more I get conflicted whether which side to pick. I think the reason some people are troubled picking a side is due to some people are still unsure about the idea of giving animals rights but there is also that factor that you want to provide protection and security for the animals. That is my speculation because that is how I feel about the whole situation of the animals rights topic, which is why my stand of the topic is somewhat in the middle.
ReplyDeleteI understand you completely ! I'm not sure if you had Mrs. Sfiligoi last year, and we had to do the animal rights project as well, and I felt exactly as I do now: torn. I don't want to say that I dont care about the issue but, in a way, I don't. Both sides of the issue have good points and bad points as well, so I feel that choosing a side would be pretty difficult, especially with the articles we read this week. It's a touchy topic for some, but as for me, I guess I can say that I'm neutral.
ReplyDeleteI know where you are coming from, but think about it... animal research was not the only topic we were covering in these articles. Our goal was to discuss what rights these animals deserve as well as to what extent. Do you remember reading in "Of Primates and Personhood..." how the Swiss defines the "decapitation of wild flowers at the roadside without rational reason" as "morally impermissible." I believe that society has taken this subject too far by saying that plants deserve rights. It is ridiculous! Back to the subject of animals, I do not think we have the right to abuse and beat animals for our own leisurely pleasure, but it is also absurd to give animals the same rights as humans have. They may be smart, but they are not on the same intellectual level we are on. I am pretty sure our class means well so we should not feel bad for eating meat or going fishing on camping trips. I am not very sure where this puts me on the controversial issue, but I believe in protecting animals from harm, but not to the extent where the government uses our money to build ChimpHavens around the world.
ReplyDeleteI had the exact same problem last year while I was doing my anatomy project. I had to make a poster either supporting or opposing animal testing and I did not know what side to choose. One one hand testing on animals is better than testing on humans but on the contrary, the conditions that the animals are kept in is terrible. I read both sides of the argument and I was truly torn. I thought about supporting animal testing since it was for a good cause, but then I realized that animals are not being tested on for medical purposes, they are also tested on for cosmetic purposes too. Right now I am still somewhat neutral and the articles we read this week did not help me choose a side.
ReplyDeleteI completely understand how you are feeling right now Duyen. But I feel sort of lost like I have no clue what to write about. I already wrote one about animal rights. So many people have already written about the articles and stuff and I do not want to copy anybody. So I am sort of stuck. I do not want to copy anybody, but yet I do not really know what to write about. And I also do not want to get off topic and start talking about the latest soccer game or anything.
ReplyDeleteI definitely understand your position with this subject. Last year in my anatomy class I was so stuck on whether animals should have rights or not, it just confused me. I came to the realization that animals helped humans out with sicknesses and disregarded the fact that animals have emotions just like we do. I now believe animals should have rights.
ReplyDeleteI absolutely definitely understand your crisis! I think we all do. I am currently taking Anatomy and right now we are doing that Animal Research project that some of you have mentioned. Deciding whether to support or oppose the use of animals in research sure isn't easy. I find myself leaning towards the support of animal research but I'm still iffy. It's inner turmoil! I mean it seems reasonable to practice animal research when giving to consideration that its purpose is to try to develop new vaccines and cures that we currently don't have available in order to save millions of human lives. However, is letting animals go through pain and suffering for our benefit justifiable? Unfortunately, for the anatomy project we can't be neutral on the issue so if i want to receive a good grade I'm going to have to choose a side and stay committed.
ReplyDeleteJust to start this off, I read this article of yours and I couldn't agree more. I was actually going to write something similar, but since I browsed through and saw yours, I just decided to come up with something else and I actually linked your post..
ReplyDeleteIt's only human that we feel guilty for thinking that using animals to advance scientific research is wrong; they are living, breathing creatures that are similar to us. On the other hand, however, we justify their deaths by thinking of them as honorable since they result in the discovery of and cures to illnesses. I am highly conflicted on which side to pick, especially since I always viewed neutral opinions to be weaker arguments in prompts of this kind. Hopefully we come up with a decision before we have to write on-demand.. Preferably before so we can prepare beforehand.