The topic of
whether animals should or should not have rights has been in the public eye for
quite sometime. I never really had an actual side that I was leaning towards,
for I really didn’t take interest in such issues. Last year was when I took
notice of the animal rights situation. This was because my Anatomy class
assigned a research paper on the ethical issues of animal rights. From my
research last year, I finally found my stand on the animal rights issue. I do
agree with what Jeremy Rifkin states that animals possess human characteristics
such as feelings and self-awareness. Animals AND humans are both creatures. We
both have a brain and heart that helps use function and live. Basically humans
are no different from animals, which leads to my belief that there should be
rights given to animals. Although I do believe animals should have rights, I
still think that animals still can be tested or experimented on. As I did my
research last year, I remember reading articles stating that animal testing has
brought many medical advancements. If animals were given rights, there should
be rights that protect animals from harmful or abusive testing. The people
testing on the animals must treat them with care from beginning to the end of
the experiment. The animals should be provided proper food and housing prior
and during these tests. Also with animal testing, the benefits must outweigh
the cost. This means that the test should only be done if the benefits will
provide a big help or cure for the world needs. Animal testing for make up,
vanity, or nonmedical reasons should not be permitted if animals are given
rights. The use of animals for entertainment or fashion should be inexcusable
as well. This whole topic of animal rights is a very interesting one. As for
me, it was very difficult to choose what side of the spectrum to pick. How
about your opinion, should animals deserve their own rights?
I love how you ended this comment with a question Christian. It just leaves the door open for someone else to comment something. I hate agreeing with people on this blog because it sounds like I am just letting the person do all the work and I am just saying "Ya that sounds good, I agree with you blah blah blah". But on this article, I agree with you. I feel like we should still test certain things on animals. But only if it is for the benefit of humanity as a whole. Like a vaccine for aids or cancer or other harmful viruses/diseases.Not for like beauty products or other non beneficial things. Now I will leave the door open for another person. Someone, Disagree with me, tell me your viewpoint, I challenge you.
ReplyDelete"The benefits should outweigh the cost." That line really stunned me. It's so true. Although it is cruel to subject animals through pain, but what if the pain of one creature could save millions of it's kind? Animal research hasn't benefitted only humans. I did a little research and found that dogs and cats' vaccinations also came from animal testing. In a sense, these research allows animals to be part of something bigger than themselves.
ReplyDeleteAs for testing on beauty products or other miscellaneous products as Dylan mentioned, if animals aren't used, what will be substituted? Will we accept their decision of using voluntary human subjects?
Wow you all have made really good and thought provoking points here, in my opinion I agree with all of you, animal testing is wrong in the sense that these animals do not have a say in whether or not they participate in these studies. Earlier in the year my psychology class reviewed case studies in animal testing and we learned that during the 80's they conducted tests where they took infant monkeys away from their mothers to see the affects that would follow. For some reason this study impacted me a lot, someone simply took a infant away from its mother just to see what would happen. When it comes to the benefits outweighing the cost I think of the phrase "do the ends justify the means?" I believe in so many cases involving animal testing they have failed to justify the means to that end. People on both side of this argument hold very valid and reasonable arguments, its easy to see both sides, but its even harder to pick one and explain your side, so what about you whats your side?
ReplyDeleteWow you all have made really good and thought provoking points here, in my opinion I agree with all of you, animal testing is wrong in the sense that these animals do not have a say in whether or not they participate in these studies. Earlier in the year my psychology class reviewed case studies in animal testing and we learned that during the 80's they conducted tests where they took infant monkeys away from their mothers to see the affects that would follow. For some reason this study impacted me a lot, someone simply took a infant away from its mother just to see what would happen. When it comes to the benefits outweighing the cost I think of the phrase "do the ends justify the means?" I believe in so many cases involving animal testing they have failed to justify the means to that end. People on both side of this argument hold very valid and reasonable arguments, its easy to see both sides, but its even harder to pick one and explain your side, so what about you whats your side?
ReplyDeleteI agree that animals should have certain rights that keep them from being abused or from meaningless experiments, but they should be allowed to test animals if it benefits society. And honestly, it may sound a little cruel, but I value human life over that of animals. No, they shouldn't be treated cruelly, but if it helps millions of human beings live, then yes, they should be allowed to do experiments.
ReplyDelete