Tuesday, December 3, 2013

A Change of Heart about Animals

When reading this article I felt a change of heart about animals. I never took into the consideration how animals have the same emotions as us humans do. When thinking about emotions, I only looked at the emotions us humans feel such as love, anxiety, depression, affection and so on. "They feel pain, suffer, and experience stress, affection, excitement and even love." This statement shows pathos, stating how animals do feel emotions just as humans do. Animals in my opinion, do have such feelings, causing them to demonstrate them in certain ways. Some say that animals are not self aware, but I completely disagree. I believe you can see when an animal is in pain, or happy. I do notice such things every day with my pets. I do not think it is fair that we neglect many animals, or mistreat them for our benefit. Hopefully we can find better ways of showing animals love and affection.

3 comments:

  1. I agree. In "Hooked on a Myth," I cringed away from my paper when I realized Braithwaite was telling us how fishes could feel the pain of the hook jabbing into their mouths as they were being dragged miles back into shore.
    I like how influential groups, like Harvard and other law schools, are beginning to take actions on this issue by inputting courses dealing with animal rights: it tells others that this is a problem in need of attention. I doubt the time of animal equality will arise soon, though. There were human beings who fought for their own rights, such as African-Americans during the Civil Rights Era and women for the right to vote, and that took them decades to succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Dakota about how animals are mistreated. Last year in my anatomy class we had a project on animal testing and whether or not we believed that animals should be tested or if they should have their moral rights. At the time I believed that animals should be used for testing to help out the human body. Now that I think about it I believe animals should have their moral rights. Like Dakota said, animals have emotions and feel the same type of pain we do emotionally, and physically. Animals get sad, happy, depressed, and when they are being tested they get lonely and have a lot of physical pain. In “Hooked on a Myth” it explains how fish can feel the pain of the hook grappling their jaws. No animal or human should have to endure that type of pain.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.