Thursday, October 31, 2013

Blogging

I consistently am seeing posts on the blog about subjects from class such as Peter Elbow or the Personal Statement, which I expected, but what do you all think of the actual blog? I see it as a good opportunity to get to know the rest of you a little bit better and see your views on the day to day assignments of class. My Dad says that in some of the online college courses he has taken they were required to blog similarly to how we are. The only part I am having trouble with is that I do not know many of you very well. When I comment on one of your posts it is almost like I am a stranger talking to another stranger with little past interaction. However, overcoming that is a good way to break the silence, so to speak, and then maybe we may share a "hello" or 'how are you" from time to time. Besides the social interaction of the blog it is good practice to use these indirect forms of communication where we can have small discussions because it lets us see what the rest of the class thinks. I for one find it interesting to read how similar of issues the rest of you face as I do. Sometimes I forget that we all go home to different houses with different available distractions or partake in different extracurricular activities that tie us to different people. However on this blog we are on even terms.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. This blog allows this class to connect in a way that most other classes on campus do not. In most other classes you go sit down and listen to the teacher lecture for most of the period and the rest of the time is spent on either busy work or studying. Most of the time we don't get to hear the thoughts and opinions of the other students in the class. We do make friends but we don't talk with everyone in the entire classroom. This blog allows us to make a connection with everyone in the class and not just a select group. This allows for a better more connected classroom in which we can hopefully feel more and more comfortable sharing our personal opinions which will make for a much more engaging and fun class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree with both of you. Admittedly, I was a little iffy about this whole blogging thing because I have never engaged in blogging in my entire being. It is not that bad after all. Like Everett said we're all "different people" but when we're blogging it seems that most of us share similar opinions and insights on the different discussions here. It is also easier to share your thoughts and opinions here because we are doing it indirectly. I for one find it really uncomfortable sharing my personal thoughts in class because I'm sharing them with people who are essentially "strangers." That is why this blog can be very beneficial. Like Jose has stated it "allows us to make a connection with everyone in class." I now have a better understanding of who some of my classmates are as people because of their opinions they are sharing on this blog.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.