Monday, October 28, 2013

Second personal statement

Hey everybody! I had a really hard time writing this second personal statement. Writers block hit me hard, causing me to have no idea what to write about. I felt like I devoted all of my time and effort into my first personal statement. At first I didn't think it would be difficult to write my second one since I had practice writing one already. Our first one was our favorite prompt and the second one was not and I think that really changed my point of view. I tried using all of the techniques we had learned from Peter elbow and it did help. I also went on essayhell.com and I loved it! I advise all of you guys to go look at her website. It is amazing. It went step by step on how to create a good personal statement colleges will want to read. It benefited me greatly. When I turned in my Ps2D1 I wasn't very proud of my work but today during the peer read around people wrote comments on my paper and it helped a lot. It boosted up my confidence and they gave me great ideas on how to improve my essay. I feel like we should do that more during class :)

2 comments:

  1. I also had a hard time writing my second personal statement. I feel as if it alot more difficult because i was trying not to make the same mistakes i made in my first personal statement. i over thought every sentence i wrote. I'm glad we did these personal statements though because now i know somewhat of what colleges are looking for and what they dont want. Also, i am happy we did many drafts becasue i never realized how many times i went off topic and how many simple mistakes i made. i never realized how important it is to revise your essays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel you on this one Kota. I out so much of my effort into my first personal statement that I think I just didn't have it in me to get a great sending personal statement out of me. I think my second personal statement could have been way better. I wrote about the place the comforts me the most. I think I wrote what a typical teenager would write as a comfort place, my bed. It wasn't anything special but it got the point across. It really hit me when we had our blind read around on Monday that someone would actually read my paper. It just got real when I had to revise my work into something that I'm actually proud of. Write comes easy to some people and they can crank out 3 essays without any problems. Most have to ponder over what they actually want to write about. I know that this personal statement it took me a bit longer to write because I felt like after every couple of sentences I wrote they weren't that great so I clicked that dreaded delete button way to many times to count. I guess you can say that I had what Peter Elbow would call metaphorical writing nausea. I just wanted to scream because I didn't know what I was doing, I felt like the second personal statement was a bunch of crap that was just a page full of I meaningful words.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.