Thursday, October 31, 2013

The clock is ticking...

As the quarter is coming to an end we've experienced twenty-five percent of what this ERW class is all about. How do you guys feel about the 3P grading system Ms.Fletcher has us on? It's astonishing that you can have such a low grade and with one assignment being entered that you could have such a big grade improvement. That's as always good ,but you have a little anxiety about it because your grade is always fluctuating. I'm also liking how she doesn't really collect everything until the end , but only checks if we have stuff done. I get that English teachers have a big work load because they have so much plied up because that have to read over two hundred papers and sometimes people just slip right through going unnoticed if your writing doesn't stand out. So I get that Ms. Fletcher rather us turn thing in all at one time , rough drafts in the folders and final drafts in the metal basket. It's effective! I felt a lot of stress this week because we has so much due in so little time and this is the one class that I don't want to slip in. I lesrned that i need to stick to deadlines and make sure i get things done Before hand so that im not rushed at the last minute because i didn't finish something. Seniors we need to remember that this class matters and your writing matters so speak up if you are not liking something that's going on. Your voice needs to be heard and I'm sure the Fletcher wants to hear what we thing, she does try to give 2/3 us and 1/3 her. Like Peter Elbow says in Writing with Power, positive and negative feedback is always good to people to improve in every aspect not only in your writing but also in the class. Keep writing Seniors we only have seventy-five percent left of the school year left until graduations. 

4 comments:

  1. The 3P grading system is a perfect grading system for this type of English class. Reason being is because, there are many people that are out there grinding on their essays day in and day out even if it doesn't show on the final draft. The great part is Ms. Fletcher sees this grind and rewards you with participation or progress, whatever category she feels like it falls under because she cares about your progress and she cares about you and you improving and get ready for college. I do also agree with Vanessa about having a small bit of anxiety because im always scared on the outcome of my grade. I know that i give in quality work but i usually work better when i know my grade and how much i need to improve it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being Miss Fletcher's student last year, this is my second year under an English class that functions under the 3P grading system. Admittedly, the grading system felt unsatisfactory to me during the first semester last year. Parent portal indicated that I had an A for most of the semester and I suddenly receive a final first semester grade in the mail saying I received a B in the class. Although a B is still a satisfactory mark, I could not help but feel that I was not informed enough about my progress in the class. The following semester, however, I began to appreciate and understand why this type of system would work in an English class. As Michael said, Miss Fletcher sees our work and rewards us on participation and progress rather than simply collecting points based on performance since it is a way to truly improve our work ethic for college.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like they way ms fletcher has set up our grading system. Writing doesn't come easy to everyone, especially myself. I feel like the way this grading system is set up gives us a chance to improve our writing a get better for the essay's we will have to do in college, which will be ten times harder. A portion of our grade is progress and I think that is really important for an ERW class. It shows you how far you have come and that just means you've learned so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cont.
    Highschool is nothing compared to college. They may say they are preparing you for what to expect but they arnt. The only class that I feel does that is this ERW class. I'm gal I decided to take this class even if it may be a struggle.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.