How do you guys feel about your PS1D1? Have you applied any of the writing techniques we learned about so far? For this personal statement I found the freewriting process the most helpful in getting my ideas going. I have always had the most difficult time starting papers, especially papers in which I have to write about myself. With classical piano music playing in the background and a timer, I was able to find a topic I could pursue. Instead of wasting time and energy stressing about what topic to choose for the personal statement, I wrote freely and was able to pick a topic from my freewriting. I also went into the freewriting process with the mentality to not try to be perfect the first time around and to withhold judgment. Hopefully none of us started to write our personal statement today, but if so, don't forget about the presentations we had. Apply a technique from Elbow! Oh, and remember, perfection doesn’t exist (Learn to Fail by Angel B. Perez).
Monday, October 14, 2013
Happy with the Process
Hi fellow classmates of Period 4.
How do you guys feel about your PS1D1? Have you applied any of the writing techniques we learned about so far? For this personal statement I found the freewriting process the most helpful in getting my ideas going. I have always had the most difficult time starting papers, especially papers in which I have to write about myself. With classical piano music playing in the background and a timer, I was able to find a topic I could pursue. Instead of wasting time and energy stressing about what topic to choose for the personal statement, I wrote freely and was able to pick a topic from my freewriting. I also went into the freewriting process with the mentality to not try to be perfect the first time around and to withhold judgment. Hopefully none of us started to write our personal statement today, but if so, don't forget about the presentations we had. Apply a technique from Elbow! Oh, and remember, perfection doesn’t exist (Learn to Fail by Angel B. Perez).
How do you guys feel about your PS1D1? Have you applied any of the writing techniques we learned about so far? For this personal statement I found the freewriting process the most helpful in getting my ideas going. I have always had the most difficult time starting papers, especially papers in which I have to write about myself. With classical piano music playing in the background and a timer, I was able to find a topic I could pursue. Instead of wasting time and energy stressing about what topic to choose for the personal statement, I wrote freely and was able to pick a topic from my freewriting. I also went into the freewriting process with the mentality to not try to be perfect the first time around and to withhold judgment. Hopefully none of us started to write our personal statement today, but if so, don't forget about the presentations we had. Apply a technique from Elbow! Oh, and remember, perfection doesn’t exist (Learn to Fail by Angel B. Perez).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey, Kinsey!
ReplyDeleteClassical music and freewriting definitely go hand in hand! They're so perfect together in helping me concentrate on my inner thoughts and brainstorming ideas. Starting is usually one of the most challenging steps, but freewriting random silly and meaningful stories and experiences really helped me through this essay. I was never confident with my writing, but Elbow's techniques are very helpful!
Writing really isn't brain surgery! Some people make it look so easy, yet others emphasize that it's a delicate process that takes a million years to perfect. I have been thinking that it would be better to teach these techniques at a lower grade- like ninth- or would it be better to develop your own technique and then improve it using Elbow's- like we are now as seniors?
Hey Kalei,
DeleteI was thinking the exact same thing about how teaching these techniques at a lower grade would be very helpful! I feel like it would be a great idea to teach ERWC before the twelfth grade. The kids would probably pay more attention because it isn't their last year in the school, and they would learn how to write a solid personal statement long before they really had to write one to a college.
Also, I feel like the kids should have a choice for there English class. In every other class they have a choice. In math you could take statistics whenever, in science you could take physics, anatomy, AP biology etc. In English, you are just stuck with normal English. I don't know about other kids, but I like to have choices in what I do and take.
Hello classmates!
ReplyDeleteThis time I felt a bit confident with my personal statement. I remember during freshman year and sophomore year I had trouble with writing a personal statement, but what I have to say is that, in a way, those past years prepared me for this year. When it came to writing my personal statement the methods we have read from Peter Elbow’s book came in handy. Kinsey I also found freewriting was the best way to start getting my ideas going for the personal statement and aside from that creating an outline helped out too. Overall I found it easier this time than I did when I tried to write the personal statement during my freshman and sophomore year. Plus music helps! I love listening to movie scores on Songza while writing. Actually I love listening to any music while writing. I feel that music makes the writing process easier and gets ideas flowing. I also agree with the fact that the school should start teaching the Peter Elbow methods at a lower grade level. I think it will improve us, the students, as writers and motivate people to write.