For me, free-writing has been the most helpful method so far. I have never used the free-writing method
before. It helped me a lot especially when I'm writing an essay and I don't
know exactly what to write about. It helped me write my second personal
statement. I had trouble writing the second personal statement because I could
not decide which prompt I want to write about. I mean, I had an idea but I
wasn't sure if it will be on point. So I got a piece of paper and wrote down
whatever comes to mind. I ignored the prompts for a second and just write for
at least 15 minutes. I also tried not to think about grammar and just focused
on getting all the good ideas out. I didn't think about how I will write the
essay, I just wrote down all the things that had happened to me in the past. I also remember from the
presentation that it is all about the process and not the product. After I
free-wrote, I read it, looked back at the list of all the prompts and finally
made up my mind. When I finally started typing my personal statement, I had the
free-writing paper to guide me so it didn't take me that long to write it.
Free-writing is very convenient and I will most likely use it to write essays
for other classes. So, is there anyone else who find free-writing very useful?
If not, what other methods do you think was the most helpful so far?
The prompt that I find the most useful, which I think is pretty similar to the free writing method is looping. I've been using the looping method since last year when Fletcher had us try it during a free write and I love it. In most ways, they are the same but I think the reason I find looping more helpful is because it has an indefinite end; you never know where your writing will end up. Kind of like the open ended writing process as well. I like using the looping method before I even look at the prompts or directions for any writing assignment. It helps alot because it usually takes me a while to get focused and into the groove of writing, but after looping for a while I am focused and can write without being distracted. I usually do an outline right after using the looping method because it puts all of my ideas in order which helps alot also. If I had to choose the two Elbow methods that have helped me the most, it would definitely be looping and the open ended writing process. And of course, the dangerous method, which always gets me through those late nights right before the due date.
ReplyDelete*the method :)
ReplyDeleteI completely agree. I had trouble writing both of my personal statements. I have no idea what kind of example should I use. I did the exact same thing as you did. I free write for several minutes without worrying anything. I wrote down all of ideas I can possibly think. Then I outline and reorganized my paper. Lastly, I finalize and revised my paper. Free write helps me a lot and i think this process will help me in the future.
ReplyDelete