ERW has been a great class for myself so far. Whether it was the Peter Elbow presentations, SSR, or writing in our journals. Let me start with the Peter Elbow presentations first. Not only have these presentations help me focus and become a better listener, it has showed me the true fundamentals and key to points for writing. Each group that has gone has done a pretty good job on covering whatever topic they were given. Watching and listening to all these different presentations has also helped me become a better writer in whatever it is I write for. The second thing I have enjoyed in this is SSR Mondays. I believe having SSR on a Monday is a very good idea because most people that come back from the weekend say they do not want to do anything. Reading is that special something that really helps everybody in this world. Reading is a fun thing when you get into. You have to read to write so reading is kind of a key part for success. The third thing I like is writing in our journals. Our journals seem like, yes they are very important but at the same time are fun to use and write in. The personal superlatives were really enjoyable to write. Some of them were also interesting but you have to have those interesting topics for the fun one's. Writing for the ten minutes has also been a creative idea. It is especially good to write how we did earlier in the year in about 15 minutes into class. With writing sooner in this class I think helps more students become better writers. I think they have more thoughts and feelings on their minds earlier in class rather than later. The final work I liked to do was both personal statements we just wrote as a class. These essays made me think about was colleges want and how they want to know what kind of person you are. Even though not all of us will be attending a UC college I believe this was a great opportunity for the students that may know now what other colleges may be asking. Of course different colleges have different prompts but this was a good idea for all of us to experience writing Personal Statements for college. I cannot wait for what we do in this next quarter and for the rest of the year. Glad I am in this class and looking forward to learn more English tips.
-Ryan Gaylord
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree. I enjoy this class, even though there are a lot of papers due this week. The presentations helped me a lot to understand the point of Peter Elbow. It helped me a lot when I was writing my personal statements. Also, the ten minutes free-write at the beginning of the class few weeks ago, gave me a lot of ideas what example I should use. I am looking forward to enjoy this class more and learn how to improve my writing skills.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you completely. I feel that the presentations have helped me in other classes other than ERW. They have helped me write in my government class and in my electives. Writing in our notebooks is pretty fun too even if I don't know what to write about at times and the personal statements have also been very helpful due to the feedback I received from my peers.
ReplyDelete