Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Sharing

I dont know about everyone but for me sharing was one of the hardest parts of doing these personal statements for me. Its hard for me to read something i wrote to someone and get critized on what i need to fix, especially when i thought my paper was perfect in the beginning. Its even harder when your telling someone about your life, stuff you normally wouldn't tell that person. As much as i perfer to skip this step, I dont think i ever will because its really beneficial when writing something. I noticed my essay was far from perfect and it needed to be severely revised and im gald i did it :) i also enjoyed  hearing other peoples stories and getting to know them, and what they go through everyday and their struggles they have overcome. It made me a better writer reading other peoples personal statement. It gave me ideas on what i can write about the next time and more creative ways to start and end my essays. Im glad we shared our wrok and even though we might not have the chance everytime we write something in ERW i will definately go out of my way to have someone read my work and do the same for others!

4 comments:

  1. I hear you Amanda, sharing and getting feedback is a little difficult. I feel like I did my paper really good and then someone goes and tells me, you need to work on this or take out that. I don't like it when someone does that and picks out all your mistakes and flaws on your paper. But I have to admit, it does make my paper better in the end. I also do not really like to tell others some of this information but you are sort of are forced to. At least in the blind read around nobody really knows which paper is yours. But I really would rather wish not to reveal my personal information to a good section of the class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually agree with what both of you said. Sharing is definitely difficult for me. Not only does the time I spent into my piece go into consideration, but I also can't help but feel that my privacy is a little invaded. I'm not a particularly private person either, it's just that personal statements can reveal information about an individual that wouldn't come up in casual, everyday conversation. This is why I appreciate having the blind read-arounds; I can somewhat maintain my privacy (despite the fact that we all undeniably try to guess whose essay we're reading) and still receive the constructive criticism that I deem necessary to my progress as a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what you are saying Faith. When others were reading my personal statement I felt as if my privacy was being invaded. I put a lot of private occasions in my personal statement and I didn't really want others to read what I had wrote. I love the idea of the blind read around. I think it is perfect, because nobodies privacy was being invaded and nobody knew who wrote what. I do wish more people wrote comments on my personal statement regarding what to fix, change, or add. Feedback is a really important step in the writing process and I think we should give more feedback to others in our class. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, sharing is extremely difficult especially when it comes to sharing your writing. I absolutely agree with all three of you. However, sharing is such a necessity when you want to create a nice, well written essay (as Faith has stated). It is very hard for me to receive constructive criticism despite the fact that it is supposed to be helpful and essential in becoming a better writer. I just get consumed with inferiority when I get bombarded with criticism. I know that is not the way how I am supposed to view the whole process of constructive criticism, but I can't help but feel that way. Although, regardless of how I feel I still need to receive feedback in order to produce a better essay. The blind read-arounds were in no way useful to me because I received no feedback at all. I needed someone to tell me what I need to do to improve because I know my essays were not perfect and needed to be revised and polished. Luckily, I had a friend read my personal statements and give me some feedback which was definitely helpful. I saw what I needed to work on and I applied it to my essays. Feedback is an essential part of effective writing and it gives us a clear guidance on how to progress in our writing. It can also improve our confidence and self-awareness. Constructive criticism and sharing is undoubtedly essential in writing and we can all benefit from it as writers.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.