Peter Elbow has taught us so much and has given us great
advice on how to improve our writing. For example, in writing without thinking,
he gave his readers occasions when we should write. If you write often enough
to yourself, then it won’t feel like writing at all because writing all the
time will help you when you need to write to an audience, like blogging or
writing an essay. If we continue to do this in college, then it will be a lot
easier to write a paper and you won’t dread writing papers as much. I believe
that the advice that he gives us about free-writing will not only help us right
now as seniors, but also in college. Free-writing will help us get an idea about
what to write about if we don’t have any idea. One of the many commonalities
that I found Elbow talking about was finding our audience. He stresses the fact
figuring out who our audience is, will help us decide how we should write it.
For example, if the audience was just my peers, then I would talk more informally.
This advice will also help us in our college life. What do you all think?
I feel the same way, even though we have not personally read the bulk of the book it is almost as if we have. The part about writing for your audience also really made sense to me, now when I write I try to word more appropriately to who will be reading it. Also I really like the parts where he says to leave grammar for last in corrections, even now I am using that technique. When I first saw the book I groaned but now I am grateful.
ReplyDelete