Thursday, October 31, 2013

Taking the EAP

According to calstate.edu, "The Early Assessment Program (EAP) is a collaborative effort among the State Board of Education (SBE), the California Department of Education (CDE) and the California State University (CSU). The program was established to provide opportunities for students to measure their readiness for college-level English and mathematics..."

ERW students were instructed to take this test last Tuesday in class, and we received our results the following day. The test was 40 questions long, measuring several different college-level reading and comprehension skills. In class, Miss Fletcher specifically told us not to discuss our scores with other people and to simply mind your own score. However, I want to know what your opinions were on this exam? Did you feel as though this exam accurately represented your English skills, or do you know you could've done better? Was it easy, difficult?

Personally, I found the test quite useful not because of the test itself, but because of the breakdown of your weak areas afterwards. We were asked to tally the questions we got right and wrong, and it categorized each question into each reading skill that they deemed necessary for college. I, for one, scored quite low on a certain section, indicating my weakness in that area. Did anyone else have the same situation? If not, how did it go for you?

2 comments:

  1. I feel that the test somewhat accurately displayed our skills in English. Tallying our scores certainly did help but I feel that it did not help as much as it should have. I would say that an actual writing portion included in the test would have better displayed our writing skills and the actual test itself did not feel very challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the tallying would have been really helpful in seeing where your strengths and weaknesses were. But for me I only had got one question wrong in a couple categories so it didn't really give me a view of where I am at. I also thought the test itself was easy and the test we took last year with the CST's was much harder. So I don't know which one is more accurate to what the colleges will have.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.