Saturday, October 26, 2013
Not Going To College Does Not Mean You Can't Be Succesful !
While reading the article "Not Going to College is a Viable Option" by Lawrence B. Schlack, I kind of felt relieved because it talked about how college is only one of the many paths you can take. Right now, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one having anxiety about college. Since the beginning of the year, there hasn't been a day where I stop thinking about questions such as What if I become nothing at the end? What if I end up dropping out of college because of money issues? How am I going to adapt transitioning from high school to college? And the most common question that a lot of us worry about is What if I don't get accepted to any college? The three reasons why college is scary are economics, status, and competition. The article talked about how students these days are told that if they go to college, they will have better jobs and better life. Also, students have this idea where if they don't go to college, they already failed in life. The author proved that wrong because there are many options after high school and that includes missionary work, military service, or working in a field you are interested in. For example, if you want to be in the medical field, you can start volunteering at a young age or applying at a hospital to get experience and know more things about the profession you want to go into. When someone chooses not to go to college, we view it as negative and think that he or she doesn't care about their life. Well, we shouldn't think that way because it's different for everybody. Some students are very indecisive about their career and that's okay because they will make up their mind eventually. College is very expensive and it's not always the next step after high school. It also depends on what you want to major in. Some people choose to get a job first then go to college after a couple of years, that way they have money to use for tuition and book expenses. People are not always going to be what they say they are going to be because many of them change major and sometimes things just happen that at times they end up dropping out. We never know what the future holds. For me, the scariest part is that I have to make my own decisions. It's hard to make decisions because sometimes you never know if it's right or wrong. I'm scared because my decisions are going to determine my future. For instance, choosing which college to apply to is a big decision to make. I don't know if going to college out of state is the right decision because that means I'm going to be apart from my family and I never know how I will adjust to that new environment. All in all, we shouldn't give up if we end up not going to college right after high school because there are a lot of options to be successful. Remember that there is no one who became successful without failing first. Also, there are many successful people that started at the bottom and worked their way up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I completely understand where you are coming from Ana. That college is not the only option, but life gives you opportunities to get there. We start our life feeling like were on top of the world, and life will knock you down, but it takes intelligence and pereserverance to get back up. I feel like I am failing already because I can not afford to go to a four year university right out of high school. It seems to others like I am taking the "easy way out" because I am planning to go to Cypress Community College. I am questoining my decisions becasue my plans from even as a young child were to go out of state to my dream school, UNM, and study medicine. Senoritis is failing to me because it is giving up on the downhill slide! Everyone yells and screams for joy at graduation saying that "we are done," but really, I have about ten more years of schooling for the pharmacy/medical route. On the other hand, I do believe that is a lot better to work smarter, not harder. It has been drilled into my brain that college is hard work, but it will definitely pay off in the long run. You will end up on top before you know it. There are many other options, like the trade school my dad went to. I know there are the other ways, but college seems best to me. Even if I start at a community college. The stepping stones of the different levels will help with the transition into adulthood.
ReplyDelete