Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Elbow and Personal Statements


Peter Elbow is the man! I love that we were introduced to him. His book Writing with Power helped me when it came to writing my personal statement. As I mentioned before in one of my comments on Kinsey’s blog post I always had trouble with writing my personal statement from previous years, but this time it is different. Elbow is one of the factors that cause writing my paper easily. I also think it’s the fact that teachers in previous years made it seem like we have to write something drastic in the essay, like a family member dying.  The overall writing process is easier now. From listening to the past presentations on Peter Elbow the methods I would like to etch into my writing is free-writing, looping, priming the pump, and writing without thinking. Not that all methods presented aren’t helpful, but these certain methods I find more beneficial to my writing process.
Another thing that I want to mention is that I actually had an easier time writing my second personal statement than my first one. I think it is my choice in prompts. I honestly like the Common Application prompts more because it is easier to write about the topics. I don’t know about you, but I found that the Common Application prompts were straighter to the point causing me to have no trouble sharing my feelings on paper. If you guys were wondering I wrote about the second UC prompt and for the Common Application I wrote about a place where I find myself to be perfectly content.
Now that we are turning in our final essays, what have you learned from writing your personal statement? Have you seen yourself progress as a writer? Did Peter Elbow help? Lastly which was your favorite prompt to write about?  

2 comments:

  1. Christian, first of all, you are awesome. Other than that, Kalei helped me realize that I did have things to learn. This personal statement showed me that I am actually a pretty deep person. I'm not the happy, bubbly person everyone knows, but a smart, analytical, and grateful young person. I have seen myself progress as a writer because before Elbow's help on freewriting, I used to struggle a lot with all the thoughts in my head, not being able to get them out on my paper. Without it looking like word vomit of course. My favorite prompt was the one about the place that I am content in. My paper is actually pretty dang good, which is something I do not get to say freely much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh, I love this. This is why I get out of bed in the morning.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.