Thursday, October 31, 2013
SSR
I very much enjoy SSR in class because unlike at home with so many distractions, SSR allows us to take time to actually get into the book we are reading and enjoy it without thinking about everything else going on around us. Reading in general is on of the best experiences since it allows us to detach and escape into worlds of endless possibilities and just have fun, yet the best part of reading is that it allows us to think deeper in subjects that we may never have touched before or even thought about. Reading allows us to connect more with who we are at our core and to build character that otherwise would never have been built. It allows us to develop a deeper way of thinking, other than our normal superficial way of looking at life so that when we come across unexpected situations in life we are more prepared and also have better judgement and understand the consequences of our actions. It allows us to broaden our range of knowledge of how our actions could effect different people around us that we normally would not have thought about before. I just read The Sphere by Michael Crichton and I must admit it is one of the best books I have read so far. The amount of suspense build up simply does not allow you to put it down. I did not know what I was getting into when I began reading it and without even noticing I got home and read and read and read until I finished the entire book in one sitting. I simply could not put it down. It is a Sci-Fi novel but it delves into such deep parts of who we are and how we think that I would recommend this book to anyone who has the time. I do not want to spoil this for anyone, so in short it's about a team of people who are sent to investigate an alien spacecraft crash site, yet the best part is the lesson that you learn towards the end about who we are at our core.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I completely agree, there a lot of distractions at home. Every time I will read a book, random things always come to my mind and eventually I will fall asleep. And when I wake up, I will realize I did not get to read. SSR allows me to read more and understand the story better. It expands my imagination how the story happens. It allows me to focus more. Sometimes I wish that we have more time in SSR.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that The Sphere was a great book. Once I started reading it i couldn't stop. The whole time I wanted to find out what was going to happen next and it kept me at the edge of my seat. Right now, for SSR, I'm reading Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell and I'm enjoying it so far. To be honest the beginning is a little boring but it picks up eventually.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you, SSR in class is the only place I have the time to sit down and enjoy the book I am reading. As I kid I wasn't a very big reader, but as I got older I started to get into books more. Now that I look back on it, I can’t believe I didn't like to read. I love the feeling when you are so deep into a book you feel like it’s so real. Then once you stop, you feel like you were just watching a movie. I wish I had more time in my day to read, but unfortunately I don’t have much time.
ReplyDelete