Monday, October 28, 2013

Rules

I always question myself, am I ready for college? Can I stay focus in my studies? Can I do this? Doubts about my future plans came to my head and I began to rethink again if college is a right path for me. But then again I remembered, I have not applied to any college yet. What if I did not get accepted? What if I cannot pay for my college? What if I failed my classes? I began to be distrust myself if I can able to enter and survive college. But after reading the article of Joe Rodriguez, “10 Rules For Going To College When Nobody Really Expected You To”, I felt that if I follow these rules, I can overcome the obstacles and challenges in college. Out of his 10 rules, I selected rule number 10, 2, and 1 to be the most important. Rule number 10 talks about “being a total student”. For me this means focus only nothing but your studies. Ignore or put aside for a while your love/romantic stories because relationships can wait. Rule number 2 talks about “studying what you love”. College takes a lot of time and effort and it would be silly to pick or do something you don’t love.  Also, you should choose a career that you would embrace until you get old. Lastly, the number 1 rule talks about “remembering where you come from”. You should look back and try to remember the people who helped you along your way. Remember how your teachers, friends, and family motivated you during hard times. Overall, I think the 10 rules is a big help for all undergraduates. 

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you about the rules because they are actually helpful. Some of the article from the packet actually explained some of the myths about college and gave students suggestion on what college is really all about. The three rules you chose are really on point. Regarding the questions you ask yourself, you are not alone because I'm pretty sure most of us are having anxiety right now. So don't think about it too much, just do what you gotta do and stay positive :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I felt as if the "10 Rules" article was very helpful in simply stating what college is all about and how we should approach it. It is hard to hear that I have to study even harder than I do now, but being a total student is fine with me. I will make sure to enjoy myself and have that "college experience", but I know that I want to save money and pursue my career. I am applying to college confident in what I want to study, but taking certain classes might completely change my mind in what I want to do. I am not going to college to waste away a lot of time or money. I am going to a college that will feel like home. I am aiming not for a job, but for a career.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.