Tuesday, October 29, 2013

It is Negative to Think it is Negative


Failure and not going to college is ideas that our society seems to look down upon, but should we really think these ideas to be so negative? The answer is no. While I was reading the articles assigned to us, I took interest in two articles from the packet and the two are: “Want to Get into College? Learn to Fail” and “Not Going to College is a Viable Option”. These two articles take a contradicting point of view on the topics that the public eye think so poorly about and find so negative.
The first article “Want to Get into College? Learn to Fail” expresses that colleges and university admission officers find that a person who learns to fail is more likely to be accepted than someone who portrays himself or herself as a perfect person. Honestly, when I reading this article I was thinking to myself how awesome the article is for talking about such topic. I believe that failure is a positive aspect in our life. Perez states in the article, “The lessons of failure can’t be taught in a classroom; they are experienced and reflected upon.” This is so true, our flaws and mistakes allow each and every person to grow and learn. It is what “makes” a person. As humans we should make mistakes because we learn from them and we can use these experiences as references in the future. Lastly, I enjoy the fact that Perez states, “Failure is about growth, learning, and overcoming, and moving on.” Something I think we should take from this article is that failure is good and people shouldn’t allow misery to take control of their life because of a failure. Failure something we grow and learn from and all we have to do is overcome our failure and move on realizing that the failure strengthened our character.
The second article “Not going to College is a Viable Option” conveys the idea that not all students have to go to college to be “successful”. The article mentions multiple jobs that don’t need four-year degree and even alternative choice instead of going to college.  I was raised upon the idea that college is the only choice after graduating high school, which is what I have and still am striving to accomplish. I like the fact that this article mentions the alternative choices for it is helpful to some people because they don’t really have a clue on what to do for the next step, causing the person to think college is their next step. This article should be shared to all seniors because it allows the seniors to think if college is really their next step. I think that if a person chooses that college is not fit for them, it should not be frowned upon.  All that matters is that a person has a clue on what he or she wants to do in the future and strives to attain the success he or she wants in their life. Think deeply if college is really meant for you because it is better realizing it now than realizing it isn’t later causing you to waste so much money and time on something you aren’t happy doing. 

1 comment:

  1. Perez's article was by far my favorite in the entire packet we got. I think the reason it appeals to me so much is because it kind of takes an edge off of all the pressure that is being put on us right now. I, for one, am terrified of going to college and not knowing what to do once I get there. And I'm also super scared of all these deadlines and applications. But, after reading the article, I felt at ease in a way. His quote that you mentioned, ("Failure is about growth, learning, and overcoming...") is what sort of took that stress away from me. Dont get me wrong, I'm still terrified. But I think this article is perfect for seniors to read because it ultimately lets us know that failure is okay.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.