Like Everett, I
feel like it's about time to break the ice and become more connected with one
another. I wanted to break the ice and provide a few aphorisms and silly short
sayings that I love. I always carry a few with me in case I find a friend or
stranger in the dumps and they need a little reminder of the beauty of shadows
and rain. They're also perfect for this class and are fun to remember because
they can be pretty powerful or just hilarious. Many of these are
made by famous authors, actors, insightful internet-famous people- the works! Okay,
I admit; some posters just barely relate to education, but they absolutely had
to be shared with this poster set- I swear!
I thought these
would be fun to share and help share some fun into this blog. We will be doing
this all year and varying our topics so as to not limit ourselves to the
articles and essay dramas in the classroom, yet still stay professionally and
academically on topic (Freewriting 101). Just a bit of fun won’t hurt, right?
There might be a
problem if most of our posts are in tangent to what’s going on in the classroom,
so if we actually do stuff like this we probably should limit ourselves, but I
doubt that would be a problem.
How do you feel
about some of these posters? Did some change the way you think about a grammar
rule or silly life moments? Do any of you live by quotes that just open your
eyes to the world around you? Did I waste your time or give you something to think about in the future?













I love this Kalei! These posters offered me a release from the mental grip of homework and stress. I forget to take breaks as I work straight through each homework assignment and study endlessly. Senior year is busier than I had anticipated. All my time is spent doing homework, studying, and applying for college. With APs and a 2 and half hour ROP class, I don't get to volunteer as much as I used to, I don't get to hang out with friends, and I don't get very many hours of sleep. These quotes let me know that everything is okay. I am grateful for this post. Some of the posters reminded me of a quote I like: "Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you are still moving forward."
ReplyDeleteOh, Holy Roman Empire, Kinsey, that quote is brilliant! I was very confused at first until I simulated a person walking and tripping with my pencil. My results: the pencil was able to move farther into their journey in a single move face-first than it was able to in the steps taken cautiously and with doubts clouding judgement! I probably over-thought this, but I think I understand the main point. School is tough, and sometimes we have to struggle to get back up to realize our potential.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHey Kalei!
ReplyDeleteI thought that most of these posters were right on. I agree with Kinsey that these posters give me a break and makes me look at the world differently. I had a lot of fun reading these. I really like the Voldemort poster because even a villain knows how important education is. :P And "How to write Good..." made me look at grammar in a different way and gave advice that I am definitely going to use. Except I disagree with the point "Comparisons are as bad a clichés" because I think that comparing two things is a good way to give your reader insight into what you think. I understand that comparisions might be overused, but I think that it's a good way to paint a picture for your reader about what you think. Do you agree or disagree with this point? A quote that opens my eyes is "A man has to learn that he cannot command things, but that he can command himself; that he cannot coerce the wills of others, but that he can mold and master his own will: and things serve him who serves truth, people seek guidance of him who is master of himself."-James Allen
Hey Kaylin!
DeleteYes, I have trouble understanding that one. I think comparisons and clichés are polar opposites. Like you said, comparisons help a reader visualize something the way the writer sees it, while clichés are seen the same way to everyone blandly thus overused. I don't like that rule because it just mocks you with its irony. That quote is very interesting and really shows how willpower and adaptability can help man thrive. I'm glad this post was helpful!
I love these posters! They made me realize that writing has a very big part in our lives, like what Kaylin said about looking at the world differently. It’s like once you say something you can never go back and fix it. There are so many different ways to interpret the things people say in our daily lives, it could mean just about anything I really like the last one about writing because you have something to say. I think I should use that one more often when I am trying to write a paper. I feel like it will make it easier for me to express what I am trying to say. I happen to love quotes, I have a bunch saved on my phone, they give me motivation sometimes when I am stuck and don’t know what to do. Sometimes they even help me get though the day. I really like this one quote that says: " Forget all the reasons why it won't work and believe the one reason why it will."
ReplyDelete